What are the General Exclusions?
To the extent permissible by law, we will not pay under any circumstances if:
1. You do not act in a responsible way to protect yourself and your property.
2. You do not do everything you can reasonably do to reduce your loss as much as possible.
3. Your claim arises from consequential loss of any kind, including but not limited to financial loss, loss of enjoyment, or the devaluation or depreciation of currency.
4. Your claim arises from you being aware at the time of purchasing the policy of something that would give rise to you making a claim under this policy.
5. Your claim arises from a loss which is recoverable by compensation under any workers compensation or transport accident laws or by any government sponsored fund, plan, or medical benefit scheme, or any other similar type legislation required to be effected by or under a law.
6. Your claim arises from errors or omissions in any booking arrangements, failure to obtain relevant visa, passport or travel documents, or being rejected access to a country on arrival for any reason.
7. Your claim arises from you acting unlawfully or breaking any government prohibition, laws or regulation including visa requirements.
8. Your claim arises from a government authority detaining anyone, or confiscating or destroying anything.
9. Your claim arises from any government prohibition, regulation or intervention.
10. Your claim arises from: a. you participating in motocross, off road, jumping, racing or competition of any sort even if you have purchased the Adventure Pack or Motorcycle Pack; b. the use of a two-wheeled or three-wheeled motor vehicle unless you as the driver or a passenger are wearing a crash helmet (this is irrespective of the law in the country you are in).
11. Your claim arises from you being in control of a motor vehicle without a current Australian driver’s licence.
12. Your claim arises from you being:
a. in control of a motorcycle, moped or scooter:
i. without a current Australian motorcycle licence valid for the same class of bike (motorcycle)
ii. without a current Australian driver’s licence (moped or scooter)
iii. without a licence valid for the country that you are riding in
b. a passenger on a motorcycle, moped or scooter that is in the control of a person:
i. without a current licence valid for the same class of bike (motorcycle)
ii. without a current driver’s licence (mopeds or scooters)
iii. without a licence valid for the country that you are riding in
13. Your claim arises from you being in control of a recreational all-terrain vehicle (including but not limited to quad-bikes, trikes and buggies) or are a passenger on a recreational allterrain vehicle unless you:
a. are under the direct supervision of a properly licensed recreational organisation, and;
b. are obeying all relevant safety codes; and
c. are wearing protective gloves and a motorcycle rider’s helmet
14. Your claim arises from or is related to or is associated with:
a. an actual or likely epidemic or pandemic; or
15. Your claim arises from you not following advice in the mass media or any government or other official body’s warning:
a. of a strike, riot, bad weather, civil protest or contagious disease (including an epidemic or pandemic); or
b. against travel to a particular country or parts of a country or against remaining in a particular country or parts of a country; or
c. where a travel advisory risk rating of ‘Do Not Travel’ (or equivalent if this term is replaced) was issued by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade before the start date of your trip ; and
d. you did not reasonably take appropriate action to avoid or minimise any potential claim under your policy (including delay of travel to the country or part of the country referred to in the warning). Refer to who.int and smartraveller.gov.au for further information.
16. Your claim arises from any act of war, whether war is declared or not, or from any rebellion, revolution, insurrection or taking of power by the military.
17. Your claim arises from a nuclear reaction or contamination from nuclear weapons or radioactivity.
18. Your claim arises from a biological and/or chemical materials, substances, compounds or the like used directly or indirectly for the purpose to harm or to destroy human life and/or create public fear.
19. Your claim arises from any search and rescue costs charged to you by a government, regulated authority or private organisation connected with finding and rescuing an individual.
20. Your claim arises from or is related to or is associated with any Pre-existing Medical Condition, except as described under the heading Covered Pre-existing Medical Conditions on pages 30 to 33 of the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) or to the extent specifically contemplated under Benefit 5 – Trip Cancellation Expenses, Benefit 6 – Trip Disruption Expenses, or Benefit 7 – Trip Resumption Expenses.
21. Your claim arises from you taking a blood-thinning prescription medication, including but not limited to Warfarin (also known under the brand names Coumadin, Jantoven, Marevan, and Waran).
22. Your claim arises from or is in respect of travel booked or undertaken against the advice of any medical practitioner.
23. Your claim arises from or is associated with pregnancy, childbirth or related complications except as specified under Pregnancy on page 33 of the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).
24. Your claim arises from or involves a hospital where you are being treated for addiction to drugs or alcohol, or are using it as a nursing, convalescent or rehabilitation place.
25. Your claim arises from or involves the cost of medication in use at the time the trip began or the cost for maintaining a course of treatment you were on prior to the trip.
26. Your claim arises from:
a. your, your spouse or partner, close relative or your travelling companion’s suicide or attempted suicide; or
b. your, your spouse or partner, close relative or your travelling companion injuring yourself or themself deliberately or putting yourself in danger (unless you are trying to save a human life).
27. Your claim arises from a sexually transmitted disease.
28. Your claim arises directly or indirectly from you, your partner, or your travelling companion using alcohol or drugs (unless the drugs have been prescribed by your medical practitioner).
29. You receive private hospital or medical treatment where we have advised you that there is:
a. Public funded services or care available to you at your destination; or
b. A treatment at a public hospital is available under a Reciprocal Health Agreement between the Government of Australia and the government at your destination.
30. We determine that you should return to Australia for treatment and you do not agree to do so. Under this circumstance we will pay you the amount that we determine would cover your overseas medical expenses and/or related costs had you agreed to our recommendation. You will then be responsible for any ongoing or additional costs relating to or arising out of the event you have claimed for.
31. Your claim arises from any medical procedures in relation to AICD/ICD insertion during overseas trip. We will exercise our right to organise a repatriation to Australia for this procedure to be completed if you, your travelling companion or a close relative (as listed on your Certificate of Insurance) requires this procedure due to sudden and acute onset which occurs for the first time during your period of insurance and it is not directly or indirectly related to a Pre-existing Medical Condition.
32. Your claim arises from or is any way related to the death, terminal diagnosis or hospitalisation of any person aged 85 years and over at the time of the claimable event (other than the insured), regardless of the country in which they live.
- 33. Your claim arises from or relates to any event or occurrence where providing such cover would result in us contravening the Health Insurance Act 1973 (Cth), the Private Health Insurance Act 2007 (Cth) or the National Health Act 1953 (Cth) (as amended or superseded).
34. Your claim arises from you racing or participating in any race or timed activity (other than on foot).
35. Your claim arises from you participating in any snow sports unless you have purchased the Snow Sport Plus Policy if travelling internationally or the Domestic Plus Policy if travelling within Australia. 36.
Your claim arises from you participating in any sports or recreational activities not listed in the ‘Covered Sports and Leisure Activities’ list (page 11 of the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)), except as provided under the Adventure Pack (page 17 of the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)) if you have purchased the Adventure Pack option.
37. Your claim arises from you participating in professional sport in a professional capacity of any kind.
38. Your claim arises from you participating in downhill mountain biking even if you have purchased the Adventure Pack or Bike Pack.
39. Your claim arises from an event where a Travel Alert for that event was issued by us prior to the issue of your Certificate of Insurance. Events include (but is not limited to): strike, riot, hijack, civil protest, severe weather, natural disaster or contagious disease.
40. Your claim arises from any person, company or organisation (including but not limited to any airline, or other carriers, accommodation provider, car rental agency, travel agency including online travel agencies, online travel and leisure retailer, tour or cruise ship operator, travel wholesaler, booking agent or other providers of facilities or travel or tourism-related services), refusing, failing or not having ability to provide services, facilities or accommodation, due to their own financial collapse or the financial collapse of any other person, company or organisation providing facilities or travel or tourism-related services.
For more information, refer to our Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).