Can I buy a policy while I am overseas?

Yes, if you are an Australian resident and left Australia without travel insurance, or if your travel insurance policy (even if issued by another insurer) has expired, we may be able to help.

You can purchase our Standard Saver, Comprehensive and Snow Sport Plus policies if you are already overseas, provided you meet all of the following requirements:

  1. You have
    1. been overseas for less than 14 days, or
    2. have been insured under a travel insurance policy since you left Australia that has been expired for no more than 14 days; and
  2. You are an Australian resident normally residing in Australia; and
  3. You hold a valid Australian Medicare card; and 
  4. You have a home in Australia to which you intend to return; and
  5. Your trip ends in Australia; and
  6. You are aged 74 years and under at time of purchase; and
  7. You advise us at the time of purchase that you are already overseas (this will be noted on your Certificate of Insurance).

Policies purchased while you are already overseas are subject to a:

  •  A 48-hor no-cover period applies to all benefits (there is no cover under any section of the policy for any event that arises within the first 48 hours of purchasing your policy). 
  • A $500 excess for all claims.


  • You cannot purchase a Basics Policy or Frequent Traveller Saver Policy if you are already overseas.
  • Temporary visitors (i.e. on a tourist visa) or individuals on an Australian temporary residence visa including those on a working holiday visa are not eligible to purchase this policy after departing Australia. 

For more information, refer to our Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us